Tuesday, August 15, 2006

stop watching the news

I don't know how many people know this about me, but I strongly dislike watching and/or reading the news. There are many reasons for this:

First, I find it depressing. 98% of all news (especially lately) is bad.

Second, I don't trust the people who report the news. Before you accuse me of being judgemental, let me explain. I spent two years of my life learning how to be one of those people, so I know how they work. Did you know that most reporters go into an interview with their story already written? (Apparently male reporters are particularly more guilty of this than female reporters.) That means the interviewee is not really able to accurately tell his or her side of the story because the reporter will only take the quotes that fit the already written story. All news is biased, I don't care what anyone says. The trouble is that most viewers/readers are too lazy to be critical of what's fed them and just blindly swallow whatever the media feeds them. Not only that, but there just isn't the time and/or space in most media outlets to REALLY cover a story adequately. All we get are soundbites and snippets, hardly enough to qualify as a 'both-sides-of-the-story-objective-report'.

Anyway, enough ranting. This is essentially all to say that every once in a while, when I do watch the news, I have to wonder at the world I'm going to be bringing our baby into. What are we thinking? Everything seems to be going to hell in a handbasket and I'm going to drop this child right into the middle of it. I have no idea what I'll be 'leaving behind' for him or her. Will the economy crash? Will the war in the Middle East make its way to North America? Will he or she have the same kinds of creature comforts and emotional/physical safety that I've enjoyed?

I know, I know, I'm a total killjoy. I just... I can't help but think about the big picture sometimes. I think I'll just keep my resolve to not watch the news and trust that Christ will come back before me or my children have to experience the worst of what people can do to each other.

On a lighter note, I've discovered one thing that I've begun to 'crave'. I don't know if I like that word because it's not like I can't live without it, it's just something I seem to particularly enjoy right now. Earl Gray Tea. Weird, huh? Not Orange Pekoe, not even my Rooibos, which I bought specifically to help with my 'Folkers stomach'. Very strange. Maybe my kid will end up with an English accent. Wouldn't that be hilarious!

While I'm on the topic of cravings, can I just say that it's really weird that Vergil is having crazier cravings than me? One day last week, all he could think about was coffee. This weekend, it was Star Apples. It's so strange. My cousin Alesha tells me that it's quite normal for dads to gain weight, have cravings and feel nauseated while their wives are pregnant. I guess Verge is gonna be one of those dads! LOL

No comments: