Tuesday, October 24, 2006

john mayer

I've been listening to the new John Mayer album, Continuum, pretty much incessantly lately. Two songs keep standing out to me, so I thought I'd share them here. The first song, The Heart of Life reminds me that yeah, life sucks sometimes, but at its heart, you can still find goodness there.

The Heart of Life
I hate to see you cry
Laying there in that position
There's things you need to hear
So turn off your tears and listen

Pain throws you heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it won't all go the way it should
But I know the heart of life is good

You know it's nothing new
Bad news never had good timing
But then the circle of your friends
Will defend the silver lining

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
No, it won't all go the way it should
But I know the heart of life is good

Pain throws your heart to the ground
Love turns the whole thing around
Fear is a friend who's misunderstood
But I know the heart of life is good

I know it's good


The second song is kind of how I feel in and around this whole process. Appropriately, it's called In Repair.

In Repair
Too many shadows in my room
Too many hours in this midnight
Too many corners in my mind
So much to do to set my heart right

Oh, it's taking so long
I could be wrong, I could be ready
Oh, but if I take my heart's advice
I should assume it's still unsteady
I am in repair, I am in repair

Stood on the corner for a while
To wait for the wind to blow down on me
Hoping it takes with it my old ways
And brings some brand new luck upon me

Oh, it's taking so long
I could be wrong, I could be ready
Oh, but if I take my heart's advice
I should assume it's still unsteady
I am in repair, I am in repair

And now I'm walking in a park
All of the birds they dance below me
Maybe when things turn green again
It will be good to say you know me

Oh, it's taking so long
I could be wrong, I could be ready
Oh, but if I take my heart's advice
I should assume it's still unsteady
Oh, I'm never really ready, I'm never really ready
I'm in repair, I'm not together but I'm getting there
I'm in repair, I'm not together but I'm getting there

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are great.

beckster said...

Oh man! I just got that album a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I'm a little bit addicted to it! I can't stop listening to it. And those songs are awesome too.