...the more shallow you want to be.
It's interesting to me the things Vergil and I have been kind of obsessed with over the last little while. For instance: we've taken a keen interest in doing 'Fill-it-in' puzzle books. We've finished three books so far and we're working on our fourth. We also play 'Lego Star Wars 2' (awesome game) on the X-Box just about every chance we get. And when we're not playing that, Vergil's playing his football/hockey/baskeball games. What else is there? I've been doing a lot more reading lately. And not reading for the class I'm teaching, either, but novels. I've wanted to write more, too, but I haven't had any good plot lines yet, so that hasn't really happened.
It's interesting how we seem to so desperately need to keep our minds and hands busy with 'shallow' things. TV doesn't seem to be enough - it doesn't engage enough parts of us to really hold our focus for very long.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think this is bad. I think all these things are temporary coping mechanisms to help us compartmentalize and to continue to have normal lives so that we don't get swept away in negativity. It's just interesting...
3 comments:
mmm... exactly. i just left a comment on another person's blog that when rob had cancer i made a duck joke book with my nephews, made all the christmas presents i gave away, and baked cinnamon buns. it may be when i started crosswords in earnest, as well. just do what you have to do.
Whatever keeps the wolves at bay. But sometimes, it's good to just sit and cry too.
They sound like good coping mechanisms to me. Your mind can be a dangerous place and it's good to stay out of it at times.
Post a Comment