Thursday, November 15, 2007

power of the panel

Panel pants, that is. I'd been warned repeatedly by friends and strangers that at some point during pregnancy, pants that only pull up to your hips become just about impossible to wear. It's funny how that seems to be one of those things that I only half-believed - like when everyone was telling me how I'd eventually stop puking and start to feel better. At the time, I honestly didn't really believe them. But now I'm not puking and feeling better. That'll show me, I guess.

Anyway, this week it happened. I don't know if this kid did some serious growing over the weekend or what, but trying to sit all day at work with my 'Now and After' stretchy-waist pants digging violently into my abdomen was not a pleasant experience. Unfortunately, I only had two pairs of panel pants in my wardrobe at the time - one my lovely aunt bought for me recently and the other that my cousin graciously donated to me but which she primarily wore near the end of her pregnancy when she was carrying around a 9lbs baby and additional fluids and such, so they're a little on the big side.

So I says to Vergil, I says, "I need more pants, yo!" And he says to me, he says, "Bada-bing-bada-boom, let's do this thing."

I don't know when we turned into native New Yorkers, but you get the drift.

Admitedly, I do find it rather funny that all I want now are pants that pull up to my armpits, when, before pregnancy, you'd be hard pressed to find me wearing any pant that threatened to get too close to my belly button.

I had spent some time hunting for the best prices on websites and thought I'd give Old Navy a shot. No good. The only maternity pants they had were stretchy-waist low-riders - just the kind I was trying to get away from. I knew Thyme Maternity was a little on the pricey side, so I thought we'd give Motherhood Maternity a shot. Sure enough, they had lots of pants with all kinds of waists and they were all about $30. Pretty dang good for pants, and that's saying something for me who hasn't actually spent full price on clothing for the last four years because her husband works in retail and gets sweet discounts.

We bought three pairs of these comfy panel pants - black, grey and jeans and had enough left over to get two huge rope-handled storage buckets at ToysRUs for the baby's room. They were only $5.97 each! Another great deal, considering the last time I saw them, they were at least $14.99 a piece.

I love storage stuff.

I'm such a geek.

Also, I will BE SURE to get Verge to take an updated picture of the belly tonight. I've been meaning to do that for a few weeks already and I keep forgetting. Today I will try to remember and then I'll also try to remember to post it... So much remembering.

2 comments:

ccap said...

Oh do I hear you. I thought I'd stick with those below the belly pants that are so trendy nowadays but alas, I gave into panel pants too. Very, very comfy.

By the way, I've gotten a BUNCH (mostly) of my preggo clothing from ebay. You might want to give it a try?

corrie said...

Man, I'm not even pregnant and you guys are making me yearn for the comfort that is panal pants. Can only pregnant women wear them? Would it be wrong to purchase a pair as a non-preggo? : )