I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength. - Philippians 4:11-13
Some days I envy my poorer Christian brothers and sisters in countries and situations less fortunate than my own. For some reason, they appear far more content with their circumstances than I am able to be. I claim contentment with my life all the time, but am I truly and honestly content? Don't I want a house and a yard and more things all the time?
Yes. I do.
So what does it mean to be content, whatever my circumstances? How do I shift my thinking, attitudes and desires so that God is all I truly want and need in my life? I complain about consumerism all the time, but I think my old adage hold true even in that situation - you hate the most the thing you do yourself.
I'm not obsessed with things, I don't think, but I will admit that I fit in well to North American life and all it's capitalist foibles.
The trouble is, I don't actually know what to do to change. And the truth is, I'm not entirely sure that I want to.
2 comments:
-community car share programs
-return of the multi-family dwelling
-organic yard gardening
-compost everything
yup, i think i know exactly how you feel. i'll trade you my house and yard for a week if i can have your nice car...
Yeah, I think I know what you mean. Sometimes I think it would be easier for me to be forced into living differently, even though I do try day to day. Perhaps that's why I like stories about post-apocalyptic survivors...I like to think I'd be one. Plus, I have a cool idea to tell you about that'll get you started. Let's talk later...
Post a Comment