Friday, April 24, 2009

long time, no blog

It's been a long time since I last posted. Truth be told, recent circumstances (which I am not at liberty to discuss on-line, so please don't ask), have caused me to lose some of my taste for this mode of communication. It feels a bit like I've unintentionally put my foot in my mouth once or twice and I'm left feeling like I just don't know what's safe to write about any more.

The part of me that wants to believe that there's at least a little bit of basic good left in everyone wants to buck up and plug on, but the rest of me screams caution. So I will exercise both parts and try to find a good balance for myself and this blog.

Balance and trust (in God, specifically) both seem to be the lessons I am trying to learn this year and boy, they are not easy. They both really feel like a massive re-programming of my brain and my entire approach to life. While in reality, my circumstances, though different than they have been in the past, have not really changed at all - I'm still not in control of 99.9% of the things I believe myself to be in control of - I now have deliberately let go of, oh, I don't know, like 2.2% that perceived control. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a big deal for me. Unfortunately, I know that one of my next big hurdles is further accepting death and loss. By that I mean that my grandparents are now all well into their 80s and I know that every year they're still around is a supreme blessing.

But I don't want to end this blog on a sad note like that. I have been on a bit of a mission to encourage people to reduce their tolerance for negativity. Not that I want everyone to force themselves and those around them to be superficially happy or unrealistic about life, I just feel that we have a choice about how we view and interact with the world and those around us. We can choose to dwell in negativity or simply acknowledge it and find positive ways to deal with it and move forward. That's not an incredibly accurate way to flesh out that particular worldview, but I'll leave it at that for now.

I'll also leave you with this - a picture of my son laughing hysterically because we were laughing hysterically at his hair:

1 comment:

pamero said...

Well, I for one am glad to see you back! Each and every post you leave always leaves me thinking for a couple of days...good thinking. Thanks for 'bucking up'. :)