Friday, November 21, 2008

everybody was kung fu fighting

No particular reason for my title today, just couldn't think of anything clever to say. Finding titles for things I'm writing or have written has always been the hardest part of writing for me.

Speaking of writing, though not my own in particular, my youth professor from college has published his first book! I'm proud to say that I had a behind-the-scenes hand in it, having edited his Doctor of Ministry dissertation on compassion fatigue out of which this fiction novel was born. It's called Restoring Rebecca and here's the synopsis for you:

As Rebecca throws herself into her familiar superhero role, her caring begins to take an emotional toll, and she’s forced to ask the most difficult question of her life: “Is it time to stop caring?” With the help of her dog and a wise veterinarian at the pet hospital where she volunteers, Rebecca comes face to face with radical new ideas that could change the way she cares – and help keep her sanity intact.

Shedding new light on the little-known but important issue of compassion fatigue, Restoring Rebecca is written for people who love to care and those who would like to better understand them. It’s a book that will challenge you to face your inner superhero and to fess up to your limitations as a caregiver.


Anyway, if you're interested in reading it or know a young person who might benefit from the story, it should be available to order on Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com before Christmas.

In other news, Kai and I are officially weaned, which is kind of nice and kind of sad all at the same time. I had thought I would nurse until he was a year, but my milk supply was definitely decreasing and I just didn't feel able to keep up with him anymore. He eats solids like a trooper and is finally starting to get the hang of finger foods - he realizes he needs to actually chew the items that go into his mouth and not just swallow them outright.

We get to see his doctor next week without having to get any shots, so that will also be fun and Christmas is coming, which should be both chaotic and loads of fun. I keep telling people not to bother buying him toys - boxes and paper are all he's gonna care about this year. We'll see if anyone listens to me.

And then, oh dear, his first birthday. Hokey smokes, did that ever go fast. I can't believe that less than two years ago I was agonizing over whether or not I would ever be able to get pregnant again and if I did, whether it would be successful. And now look at us - a happy, healthy little family with a child that's almost a year old. Amazing.

The other thing I have trouble with when it comes to writing is my endings. I get stuck all the time - whether it be not being able to finish a story or just wrapping things up well. Oh well, I'll just do what I always do in my blogs - end with a picture of my son!

3 comments:

Sheri said...

See now here is where we compliment each other (amongst all the other things :) I'm pretty good with titles and endings I just suck at the middle...we should write a book together ;)

Love love the pic because my godson is so dang cute...I also am sad for you and happy for you that he is weaned...an odd thought for me...we'll see how long Arielle lasts. :)

Sheri said...

PS- You have also managed to get that song in my head...thank you :)

Linda said...

Nice update but thanks a lot for the song.