Tuesday, September 09, 2008

sicky sick sick

It took seven months, but Kai's got his first cold this week. And so do Vergil and I. Well, not our first, but you know what I mean. We're a family full of sickys today. Poor Kai's got a snotty nose and bright red cheeks because - well, I don't know why his cheeks are red. Either that's part of his cold or he's teething some more. Or both. Or maybe the cheeks have nothing to do with anything - what do I know?

Feels like I know less than nothing about babies these days. Not that Kai is becoming more difficult, he's just had some really bad days that leave me totally at a loss to know what to do. He's been sleeping like a newborn this last week and I don't know how to fix it because I don't know what his problem or problems are (teething? growing? sickness? all of the above?). We don't have anything resembling a nap schedule yet and I'm hesitant to try to implement one before October because we're going on vacation and won't be at home for two weeks so it feels ridiculous to try to implement anything new before we're back.

So yeah, that's pretty much our life right now - making things up as we go along and trying not to over-think things and trying even harder not to take his bad sleep habits, hatred of his playpen, restlessness in his stroller and his excessive suckiness personally.

Anyway, on a completely baby-free note, the wedding we officiated last week went really well. It was a lot of fun and I think the bride and groom enjoyed themselves. I accomplished my goals of not making the bride cry or laugh too hard and as far as I know, they are officially married. At least, all the papers are signed and mailed away. Hopefully they don't get rejected or something weird like that.

The wedding itself was really small, but that was because the bride and groom spoiled us with a six-course meal at Amici's including bison carpaccio, seared Ahi tuna, wild boar bacon, elk steak, a light meringue dessert and cake baked by the groom himself (who is a chef by training). Pretty amazing stuff. It was a really nice day out for Vergil and I, except for the fact that we had to work for our meal! In addition to being the officiants, we were also the Emcees at the reception. Ah well, it was all worth it.

I'll post a picture of us with the bride and groom as soon as I get it. I had to order them from their photographer, so you'll have to wait patiently with me.

In the meantime, here's a picture of our son showing off his new skill - pulling himself up on EVERYTHING!

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Aww poor sick guy...I have a stuffy nose girl over here too...not too bad and she's sleeping like a newborn cause I think she still classifies as one...lol I hope he starts feeling better soon.

Glad you had fun at the wedding and I'm still jealous about all that great food!