Tuesday, July 22, 2008

rotting meat

So I was going to cook ribs in my slow cooker today. Juicy, succulent pork side ribs with BBQ sauce. Delicious, no? Well, the ribs I just bought on Sunday are green, mouldy and smelly. And no, I did not leave them out on my counter for two days. They were safely stored in my fridge, just like they were supposed to be, waiting to be used today. The label on them claims the meat should be used by the 24th of July. It's the 22nd today. I'm a little ripped off. I think this will be the first time ever in my life that I'm going to go back to the store and complain - either ask for my money back or get something in exchange. The thing that makes me even madder is that the fresh fish I have in my fridge, which was also bought on Sunday, is STILL GOOD! How does that work? Pork goes bad while the fish stays good? Doesn't make an ounce of sense to me.

Okay, that's enough ranting. Once I shower and get myself ready, I'll trek off back to the store to complain about my meat. Probably not till after lunch, I think.

In other news, we've started Kai on solids this week. How fun is that? Just rice cereal so far, but he gets to try chicken tomorrow. That should be fun. Why chicken, you ask? Well, at the nutrition class I attended a month or so ago, they informed me that since 2004, they've changed the order of introducing foods to baby. New research has shown that at 6 months, baby's iron stores deplete to such an extent that you need to introduce iron-rich foods first and foremost. All of the baby cereals are fortified with iron, so that's a good starter, but veggies and fruit obviously aren't, so they recommend starting with meats now. Weird, hey? But that's what I'm gonna do. I hope Kai likes meat. I figured I'd start with the milder-tasting ones like chicken and pork and move my way up to beef and fish. Turning him into a carnivore right off the hop. Kind of funny, if you ask me.

I've actually gone ahead and cooked up my own meat baby foods for him. No, I'm not an uber-keen homemaker. Somehow, it just seemed less gross to feed him meat I've cooked and pureed than to feed him jarred meats. Maybe that's because I've had cats and meat out of jars just feels too much like cat food. Although, I have to admit that the beef I made smelled a heck of a lot like cat food after I pureed it. LOL

And that's all I have time to write today. Here's a video of Kai trying his rice cereal for the first time. Enjoy!

3 comments:

-Me- said...

Good call on cooking your own meats.....I couldn't justify feeding either of my kids the meat baby foods...seriously, it reminded me of canned cat/dog food :(( Hopefully Kai enjoys his chicken...and how disgusting about the Pork Ribs..I sure hope that you got your money back, that's ridiculous!

-Me- said...

PS....I forgot to add that I made my own too. :) I even with Noah made some fruits and veggies too, I just froze them in ice cube trays and popped out what I needed :)

Sheri said...

LOL Oh how I love that boy. Seriously he is too cute...major tongue action there...good times. I can't believe he's already at cereal man time flies!