For example, this past weekend while we were at the cabin, I decided I ought to sterilize Kai's soother and RaZ-Berry teether. I put a shallow pot of water with the aforementioned items on the stove to boil and returned to the living room to watch Vergil play Lego Indiana Jones. Some time later, Vergil says to me, "Did you have something on the stove?"
"Ah, sh*t!"
Sure enough, the water had boiled away and Kai's soother had melted to the bottom of the pan. The poor RaZ-Berry had fared a little better, but it was beginning to disintegrate, so I had to toss it. Anyway, in my panic, I pulled the pan off the stove and put it on the small counter between the stove and fridge. I had turned away to the sink to try to salvage the RaZ-Berry and when I turned back, I saw that the pan was about two inches in the air. The counter was burning and bubbling up, taking the pan with it.
I felt like an idiot. I should have known not to put a smoldering pan onto an unprotected counter like that. But no. I was pretty upset. I left a message for my uncle, telling him what had happened and asking him to let me know how much it would cost to fix the counter. He called back, laughing at me, as he had about 60 feet of that counter top (basically a peel-and-stick dealy) in his garage and it would take him a half hour to fix. Said it would cost me a doughnut. I still felt stupid, though, but that only seemed to make him laugh harder.
Anyway, that's my story for today. Please continue to pray for/think of my friend Kayla and her little boy, Elliot. Looks like they're going to have to be in hospital a lot longer than they had anticipated. Bleh. Not cool.
Oh, you can also think of/pray for my friend Sheri, whose little girl is getting ready to make her entrance - hopefully any time now!
Here's a couple pictures from our weekend away:
4 comments:
burnt rubber is a smell i remember well.
blech.
Hi krista, normally I just check your posts to see how you and your baby are fairing as I saw your link on kayla's site. But today since (I would guess) the same jerk posted on your page as earlier in the year - yipes! I would use couple mean words to discribe that person!! I just wanted to let you know you are not the only person who has burnt baby items on the stove. I melted bottles I was sterilizing, but my story was topped at healthy baby group - a girl there melted her breast pump which started on fire and had to make an insurace claim as everything got the smoke in it including her car seat and bassinet which needed to be repaced as it couldnt be cleaned. Anyways the point of my story it we are mom's and we have a very important being that is needing our attention, so sometimes we forget things!
and you look beautiful in the photo!
I am sorry there is such a jerk reading your blog, and I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy it.
Michelle (Friesen) Barrett - incase my name is part of the 2% we went to school together but I am Evelyn's age
Thanks for defending me, Michelle. That Anonymous person often leaves malicious comments on my blog and I don't even do him/her the honor of letting the comments stay on my blog. I usually delete them as soon as I see they're there. I won't be cyber-bullied like that. Since it's my blog I figure I have every right to censor the comments left on it. So yeah, I've stopped taking Anonymous seriously. In fact, I've stopped acknowledging that person at all. Apart from right now, of course.
I do remember you, by the way. We ran into each other at Mongo's one time and I totally forgot your name then, but I've remembered it and you ever since then. :) That's a crazy story. I'm glad I didn't start any fires, that's for sure! Thanks again for your note!
Krista, I haven't seen you in forever but I found your blog through Kayla's too. I love reading your blog and seeing the beautiful pictures of Malakai. He is adorable.
My question is, who is getting our 2%, because I want it back!
Take care!
Jenn (Hazeu) Eekhoff
Post a Comment