Thursday, February 07, 2008

life with kai

Is pretty dang cool. It took a long time, but it's starting to feel like he's really mine. Maybe that's a funny thing to say, but I couldn't help feeling like this was just a temporary situation - that eventually someone would come in and say, okay, that's it. You're done with him now. But no one's done that, he's still here, still ours and I quite like it.

Kai's a really good baby. He doesn't cry much, except for bath times, sudden temperature changes and when he's overly hungry. But even then, his crying is always short lived. As soon as we solve the problem he's cool again. Verge and I were both saying how this has been a lot easier than we anticipated. We worried that it would be a lot more complicated to take care of a newborn, but his needs are so simple and so basic, it's really not that difficult to figure out how to make him happy.

We went out for the first time yesterday. Kai had his first pediatrician appointment with Dr. Martinez, a very cool guy. We liked him a lot. Kai is already growing like a weed - he's back to his birth weight in only a week and we're sure he gets bigger every day. He's still a little jaundiced, but it's on its way out and he should be back to his normal colour by the time my parents get in town on the 16th.

After the Dr's, we decided to give me a chance to be in the world for a little while. We went to the mall and visited Vergil's staff to say hi and then went and got me some nursing bras. It went well, Kai slept through most of everything and only got cranky on the ride home when his tummy was grumbly. Walking for a couple hours got a little difficult for me by the end. It's funny how being upright and mobile for extended periods of time is still an issue for me, even after having my body back. When I was pregnant, it was hard to be mobile because I was so large and now it's hard because I'm still a little tender and sore from giving birth.

The only other weird thing about being out was my initial sense of disorientation. I've had tunnel vision, focusing on this kid for so long that it was really weird to have to actually look around and take in more than his face.

I have to admit that I like being a mom more and more everyday. I like watching him sleep, I like feeding him, I like seeing him take in his world, I like the faces he makes, I like his cry, I like changing him, I even like getting up multiple times in the night to feed him. It's pretty amazing. I feel so blessed. In fact, I'm tearing up just thinking about how thankful I am to be experiencing all of this.

Anyway, that's life for us right now. We're a little picture obsessed, but that's mostly because my parents and in-laws demand new pictures every day. You can see them all by clicking on this link, but I'll post a few here if you don't have that kind of time or interest...


4 comments:

ccap said...

Oh boy do some of your thoughts bring back memories: The overwhelming love, the sense of "hey, this isn't too tricky" and that first outing. Mine was at day 5 and I think I managed to walk around Zellers for maybe 8 minutes before being wiped.

Linda said...

I too remember those feelings when I first held my babies. That fierce, incredible, "I'd die for this baby" feeling. Glad that parenthood suits you both.

-Me- said...

awwww, how could you not MAKE the time to look at pictures of your adorable little man!! He is so precious!! I remember leaving the house the first time after having Noah...it was kind of overwhelming, to say the least! I'm glad that Kai isn't making life too difficult, and that he is a content baby!!! Also, I love the new name of the blog!!! Be blessed :-)

ccap said...

February 12th - I believe today is your due date, no? I hope you don't have to go too much past your due date. ;-)