Thursday, February 14, 2008

13 things about being a new mom

This won't be a surprising list to those of you who are parents, but I thought I should write this for my own rememberings...

1. You don't need as much sleep as you think do. You just need enough to function for a few hours at a time.

2. It's amazing how much you can love someone who caused you so much pain coming into the world. Makes me marvel again at how women are so blessed to experience something about as close to God's experience with humanity as humanly possible. I don't know if that makes sense, but it kind of blows my mind.

3. Being a food source is kind of a surreal experience. There's a fine line one walks between resenting being so depended upon and desperately needing to be so depended upon.

4. I don't like being scolded by strangers. In the first couple of days of having Kai home, I was getting way too much advice from way too many 'professionals' that was similar and yet different. And every once in a while, they'd give me that tone in their voice that made me feel like a child getting reprimanded. So I chucked it all in favor of my own instincts and my mom's advice.

5. It's hard not to say things like "I can't wait 'till..." I keep reminding myself to enjoy each moment of every day of my son's life.

6. Time moves insanely fast.

7. Babies grow insanely fast.

8. It would be so great if you could get paid to be full-time parents. I'm not ready for Vergil to go back to work, even if my parents are going to be here for two weeks.

9. When people tell you "It's different when it's your own kid," they're not lying. It is different. And better and worse and more right than you ever imagined.

10. It's fascinating trying to pick pieces of yourself (or your husband, or your dad, or your grandparent) out of your child's face or mannerisms.

11. For a person with only one menu choice, why is it so impossible to keep his shirt clean?

12. What I wouldn't do for this face:


13. Moments like this:

4 comments:

Heather Plett said...

#2 Beautifully said.

#4 You are a wise woman. It took me much longer to figure that out.

#8 Yeah, I could go for that.

Heather Plett said...

Oh... and, by the way... WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET TO SEE HIM?! If you don't show up at church soon, I'm comin' to your house with my whole family in tow. :-)

Linda said...

What Heather said. Put on the coffee 'cause we're coming!

Kayler said...

Very true Krista - it's great being a mom - although the sometimes you do feel like a giant boob... sigh... but even that's cute.
Best wishes to you and Vergil, and best of luck to you when he goes back to work. Trust me, the days FLY by.