Thursday, August 14, 2008

teeth!

Well, it's happened! Kai is cutting his first two bottom teeth. I'll say that the process of teething has been very interesting. He had been really spitty and drooly for about a week before I found the first tooth and his sleep had been (and still is) kind of screwy. At first I thought it was just all the activity and people and disruption of our routine, but now I realize it's been the teeth the whole time.

I'm actually wondering if he's not working on a couple teeth on the top, too, because today's been a rough one. He's been cranky and clingy and whiny and not napping well at all. His top gums look a little red and slightly inflamed, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if I found a tooth poking through there one day soon. Watch him get all his teeth all at once. This kid has no patience for anything, I tell you.

My friend recommended a homeopathic teething tablet by Hylands, so we'll see if they do anything to take the edge off. I broke down and gave him some Tempra this afternoon because he just seemed so uncomfortable. I'm really reluctant to drug him up for every little thing, but I think today was justified.

Anyway, this new phase of Kai's life has definitely proved more trying on me than I had anticipated. I kind of felt like I was just starting to figure him out and all of a sudden, he throws me this teething curveball and I feel like I'm almost back to how I felt a few weeks after he was born - clueless and frustrated. I had a pretty bad couple of days this week where I just felt really down and depressed. My mood improved as the week went on, but it's definitely been a roller coaster emotionally the last little while.

What else was I going to say? Oh yeah, when we first started feeding Kai solids, he got the hang of it really quickly and ate pretty much everything we offered him. There was a week or two there where we could hardly feed him enough. The last two or three days, however, he's been indifferent and kind of irritated with eating even a little bit of rice cereal. I'm assuming it's because of the teething thing and possibly because he'd had a growth spurt earlier that has since ended, but it has definitely added to my feelings of cluelessness and frustration.

Alrighty. Enough whining. I have a meeting tonight which means Kai and Vergil will be on their own for a few hours. Hopefully the nap the little guy is having right now will help with his mood for the evening and doesn't leave Vergil feeling too frustrated with him.

I don't have a good picture of Kai's nubbins yet, so I'll leave you with a picture of him on a happier day.

No comments: