What can I say about the last four, almost five weeks of life with Kai? It's been an adventure. I love every minute of it, but I'll tell you, the novelty of getting up multiple times during the night and not really sleeping for more than an hour and a half at a time is really starting to wear off. I'm tired. Like more tired than I think I've ever been in my life. Feels like I've been at a youth retreat for weeks on end and if you know me at all, that's REALLY tired.
But we're surviving. I admit I get a little irritated with Kai at 4 in the morning when he decides it's a good time to be wide awake and I've just fallen into a half decent sleep. I admit it's a little frustrating trying to entertain a month old baby who can't hold up his own head yet, can't play with toys on his own and needs what feels like almost constant physical contact. But in the same breath, this is the best thing I've ever experienced in my life. It's always funny to me how sometimes the most trying experiences are also the best.
Anyway, I'm still trying not to hurry my boy along through baby-hood because I know in about 6 months I'll be lamenting about how big he's getting and in a year I'll be agonizing over the fact that he wants to be so independent from me. I know how fast life goes and there's really no point in rushing it.
And they say that the sleeping thing will get better. Only i can't help but feel the same way I did when people told me I would feel better in my pregnancy. I really only half believe it. I know they're probably right, but that's just not my reality right now.
Oh well, Vergil closes tomorrow, so he'll take the morning watch and let me sleep a little longer which should help a lot. Then maybe I'll start thinking about keeping this kid awake more during the day or something. Post your advice if you've got it, but I'm not going to obsess about the 'right' method for getting your baby to sleep better at night.
Here's a couple more pictures for your viewing pleasure:
6 comments:
OH my goodness, I was so excited to see a new post today, I've been thinking about you lots wondering how life with Kai is going! I could probably offer you a lot of advice, but in all actuality the best advice I can give you is to listen to yourself...I know that might sound stupid, but seriously: You know what works best for your little man, so don't doubt your self and go with that!! Kai is so cute, he is growing so fast...and yes, I have one having a 7th birthday at the end of this month (seriously, didn't I just have her yesterday) and an 11 month old (today)...and time really does just seem to go so quickly..things will just get easier and easier for you day by day...I'll be continuing to remember you in my prayers, and I hope that you and Kai enjoy your week! PS...have a great sleep Wednesday morning :-)
oh my he is cute!!
we never did figure out how to get them to sleep. eventually, they did. (though i won't mention how many years it took joey to learn that trick.)
I have no advice - just empathy. Every one of my kids was different when it came to sleep habits (and everything else), so I can't say I figured out the "right" way to do anything.
We should have a play date with our boys if you're bored at home.. :)
The first few months are always a challenge when it comes to sleeping and schedules. Just take care of yourself, get some sleep whenever you can and be assured that one day, he will sleep through the night.
First of all, he is so cute!! I love all the little outfits that you have him in!!!
I don't want to sound preachy with advice, but Ryan and Stephanie lent me a DVD that really helped us get Elliott to calm down and sleep so well - it involves swaddling tightly and shushing when they are fussy or crying. I will have to lend it to you. Also, we have Elliott on the EASY routine that is described in the Baby Whisperer books - it's really helpful in our opinion. I don't know what you are doing, but check them out if you want to - Elliott gets at least four hours at a time at night.
Post a Comment