So, four months ago when we first made our baby announcement to the world, I started thinking about my maternity leave from work. I bent my brain to the problem of who might be a good replacement for me and the first person that came to mind was Eric, a friend from church and someone who's already been working for our department for the last year as our intrepid News Release writer (among other things).
Anyway, I gave his name to my bosses and encouraged him to apply (which he did) and then I sat and I waited. I started hearing about other applicants for my job with different skill sets that seemed to intrigue my higher-ups and I started to worry a little. I knew in my gut Eric was the right person for the job, but it seemed like maybe I was the only one who was convinced.
Yesterday they interviewed the two top candidates for my position (Eric included) and today, Eric was offered and accepted the job. I'm a happy girl. And I love being right. I'd just like to toot my own horn a little and say that I've now been involved in hiring two people for jobs at my work and my intuition was dead on both times.
Yup. I'm just that good. I'm confidently waddling around the room right now, just so you know. I'd swagger, but that's a little hard to do in my condition.
I'm really not that arrogant, I promise. Not all the time, anyway.
On another note, I'm happy to report that my 'to-do' list is getting smaller by the day. Many thanks to Linda for the encouragement to say no to things. Unfortunately (or fortunately, I'm not sure which), my 'to-do' list has very little to do with other people - it's all stuff for myself that I've decided I need to get done and I have to say that as a boss, I'm a bit of a jerk and a task-master, especially when I'm the only employee. I am slowly learning it's okay to do things in pieces instead of all at once like I used to be inclined to do, so that's been good.
I do find myself in a state of denial some days that there is anything different about me than there used to be. Last night was probably a good example. We needed to do laundry and I really wanted to start some of my Christmas baking. So I decided to tackle both - an easy multi-tasking venture on any other day. Unfortunately, carrying around a child all day is not as easy as it looks. I get tired a lot faster and standing too long makes my back ache to the point that I start walking like Quasimodo. So yeah, I probably pushed it a little too hard yesterday in my enthusiasm to get things done.
Anyway, I do plan to do a little more baking tonight, but I promise I'll pay more attention to my fatigue levels and maybe I'll even try to do most of the prep sitting down instead of standing. That might help a lot, actually.
Okay, one more story before I wrap this blog up - I've been baking ginger snap cookies and one of the ingredients is dark molasses, so the batter is a really rich brown colour. I sent myself into a fit of hysterics last night over how much the stupid batter looked like excrement. I could not stop laughing. Poor Vergil was actually getting a little frightened. I know a lot of women find themselves crying uncontrollably while they're pregnant. For me it's hysterical, maniacal, uncontrollable laughter. Which isn't a bad thing, just kind of weird.
Oh and fortunately, the baked cookies look a lot better than the batter does.
4 comments:
Yay. I bet Eric loves it when you're right, too!
He was just over to tell us the big announcement. I'm glad your instincts were right!
Yes, I'm quite happy that you were right. BUT, geez my family knows that I have a job before I can tell them. You spoiled the surprise..... and I`m quite okay with that. Makes my life easier...
Yay for Eric! And for ginger snaps!
Post a Comment