Friday, February 26, 2010

the little college that could

It has been a very long time since I last blogged. I don't even know if I have any readers left, but frankly, I'm not that concerned.

Today, I don't feel like talking about myself, though. I feel compelled to write about my place of employment and my alma mater, Providence College. There is so much I want to say right now, but I'm not really sure what would be appropriate, so I will keep this simple.

Providence is a great school. A really great school. The people who work here are passionate about this place in a way you don't come across very often. They believe this school has a mission, a purpose on this earth. They believe it to be called by God to bring quality, life-transforming Christian higher education to students. I have had the privilege over several years working here to interview many alumni, spanning from recent grads to those who attended in the 1930s, and every single one of those alumni has told me the same thing - Providence left a mark on my life. It tought me about myself, about God and about how God works in the world. And I have gone on and used that knowledge. I have gone out and experienced God working in the world. I have gone out and worked with him.

This little Christian college is 85 years old this year. It has seen some of the best and the worst life and the world has to offer. It has been through good times and bad times and has perservered, by the grace of God, through it all. I have been fortunate enough to have achieved a B.A. in Youth Leadership here and to have worked in a few different departments over the last 9 years and if I have learned one thing about this place - for all its human foibles and flaws - there is nothing more precious and sacred to every person here than providing a stellar, one-of-a-kind university level Christian education for every student that walks through these doors.

Yes, the dorms have seen better days. Yes, the heating system is 100 years old. Yes, there are too many stairs. Yes, it costs more than some other institutions. But you will never, ever have the Providence experience anywhere else. You will not get this kind of education, divulged from brilliant professors who not only care about their subjects, but even more so about their students. You will not get these kinds of friendships on any social networking site in the world. You will not have these kinds of opportunities to be stretched and to grow in your faith.

You will not, because Providence is unique.

I don't know what the future holds for Providence, but that's not my place. What I do know is that places like Providence are few and far between. I know this might sound a lot like a recruitment ad right now, but I really just needed to praise Providence publically for a moment. I take so many things for granted in my life and I guess, during this season of Lent, I wanted to remember one of the places that has left a permanent, positive mark on my life.

So there it is - Providence College and Seminary. A unique, perfectly imperfect place full of broken people striving to learn and grow together to bring glory to God. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: